To provide efficient, economic access to desired destinations, such as employment, shopping and other facilities in a quick, convenient and safe manner for all citizens in every section of the City.
The Street Department has the following responsibilities:
- Constructs and coordinates the construction or reconstruction of city streets
- Maintains drainage structures
- Maintains paved and unpaved alleys
- Maintains paved and unpaved streets
- Maintains traffic control devices and information signs
- Sweeps streets as requested
- To provide a proactive pavement maintenance system through out the City
- To provide good, safe streets with adequate signage for the convenience of the citizens of Borger and visitors in addition to accessible alleys for use by various utility providers and Solid Waste Department
- Blade unpaved streets and alleys on a timely basis.
- Clear obstructions from grates, inlets and intersections upon notification on a timely basis.
- Continue to maintain city streets by sealing cracks and reconstruction.
- Increase knowledge through training of assigned personnel in public works and traffic engineering by attending seminars and traffic engineering schools.
- Maintain efficiency in replacing or repairing signs.
- Patch potholes and utility cuts in streets in a timely manner.
- Seal coat streets on a schedule system each year.
- Sweep city streets as needed on a timely basis.
In addition, the department provides care and maintenance of trees in the public right-of-way, in order to safeguard against accidents, and help keep our city trees looking their best. Whether patching roads or building sidewalks, the Street Department strives to make transportation smooth and easy.
This department also works to assure the movement of emergency vehicles during storm periods, to protect the public from rapidly flowing water or flash floods, and to minimize losses and property damage resulting from uncontrolled storm water runoff. The department is constantly working towards drainage improvements for the City of Borger.
This department is on call 24 hours a day to assist in emergencies or storm situations.
If you find problems with city streets in Borger, such as potholes, down or damaged street signs, or drainage problems, please contact us by phone at 806-273-0961 or Report a Concern
Active Street Closures
Effective Jan. 15, 2020, the intersection of 5th and Austin will be closed for safety purposes while our team works on a storm drain project. For project completion information keep updated on this page and the City of Borger’s Facebook.